How to make Masala Khakhra
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1 tsp sesame seeds (til)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp oil
salt to taste
whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
To Be Mixed Into A Tomato Salsa (for The Topping)
1/2 cup deseeded and finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions whites
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1/2 tsp green chilli paste
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder to taste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Combine the whole wheat flour, sesame seeds , turmeric powder, chilli powder, oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion into a 150 mm. (6") diameter thin circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place a roti on it and cook on both sides for a few seconds and cook on a slow flame until crisp using little pressure with help of a muslin cloth or with a khakhra press.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 5 more khakhras.
- Allow them to cool completely, store in an air-tight container. Use as required.